- On February 24, 2016
Feeling safe is one of the fundamental elements of a happy life- which is why we want to do everything in our power to ensure our security. When it comes to our home, which holds a spectrum of our greatest possessions from family members to cherished belongings, there are proactive steps we can take. Consider these 6 ways to secure your home:
- Let there be light. Outdoor lighting can be a huge deterrent for would-be burglars. In particular, motion activated lighting in key areas (such as by the garage and alternative entry points) will lessen the attractiveness of your home to those looking to break-in. Utilizing remote controlled interior lights or those on automatic timers can also give the impression of someone being home. Add TVs to your remote controlled devices and you can further that illusion.
- Embrace your techo-side. While more of a financial investment, installing a home security system (and advertising it with yard signs and window decals) and/or security cameras are some of the best forms of home protection. Opting for a system that has motion detectors and glass-break sensors will only increase your protection.
- Give your landscaping regular manicures. Always keep hedges below your windows and avoid having overgrown areas where intruders can hide when trying to gain access. Also, trim back tree branches near the house or hanging over the roof. Planting low thorny bushes is another deterrent.
- Enlist the help of your neighbors. By establishing relationships with your neighbors and banding together in a neighborhood watch program, you increase the number of people monitoring your home (particularly when you are away) and reporting anything that looks suspicious.
- Don’t help burglars get in. Seems like a ridiculous suggestion, but when you leave extra keys “hidden” near the front door (under the mat, in the mailbox, etc.) or forget to lock all doors, windows and balconies, you are making it easier for them to gain access. Have a regular safety routine both when you are in the house and when you are leaving to lock potential entrance points. Also, invest in Grade 1 deadbolts for all exterior doors.
- Don’t advertise when you are away. In addition to the remote controlled lighting mentioned earlier, try to keep other routines in place to avoid suspicion you are traveling. Instead of cancelling your mail delivery, have a friend pick-up and hold your mail and deliveries. Also, consider asking them to use your trash can intermittently and put it out/ bring it in on some trash days. And while you may be excited about all the adventures you’re having, think twice before posting all about your trip on social media.
Take steps to secure your home and help ensure it remains your safe haven.
JDA Insurance Group is an Independent Property & Casualty / Health Insurance Company servicing Florida families and businesses. Our mission is to deliver competitive insurance rates and programs, along with industry-leading customer service. The JDA Insurance Group offers its clients the resources of our largest competitors, with the accessibility and personal care of a local business. If you would like to find out more about home security and homeowners insurance or request a quote, please contact us or call 561-296-0373.